Chapter History

Our chapter was organized May 24, 1939, in Del Paso Heights (North Sacramento), California with the name of General John A Sutter. It is the second chapter to be organized in Sacramento; the first chapter was the Sacramento Chapter in 1921. Our chapter was originally established for working women, since the Sacramento Chapter met on Mondays. Our regular meetings are on the third Saturday of each month from September to May. If you would like to come to one of our meetings, please contact our registrar.

Our Chapter was named for Johann Augustus Sutter, who was born a German Swiss and arrived in California in 1839. He built Sutter's Fort on the mouth of the American River the same year. Receiving a military appointment and a large land grant of some 76 square miles from the Mexican government, he developed an empire. Gold was discovered at his Coloma sawmill in 1848, starting the famous gold rush of 1849.

                                                 Sutter's Fort-1846

~1846 Drawing of Sutter's Fort~
( by Lt. Joseph Warren Revere ~ descendant of Paul Revere)

 

Photo from: Sacramento An Illustrated History: 1839-1874 From Sutter's Fort to Capital City,
California Historical Society 1973

Today, of the original fort, only the adobe and oak central two-story building remains. The fort's outer walls and rooms, which had disappeared by the 1860s have been reconstructed. Sutter's Fort and the adjacent Indian Museum with its important collection of Indian artifacts are open daily and operated by the State of California.

Signature of John A. Sutter

                                                                                                    Signature of John Sutter